The Values Voter

The thoughts of a politically aware African American Christian.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

The n-word: a simple answer to the eternal mystery of why you can't racially attack someone of another race

I've heard over and over this week - on talk radio and on message boards - people who seem baffled why it's wrong for a white person like Michael Richards to use "the n-word" - especially when it's in open use by so many black people. Yes, the mysteries of life are deep indeed. Although I can't explain why God made spiders or whether or not He allows animals to go to Heaven, I feel comfortable enough to take a crack at this baffling mystery that seems to befuddle so many people who struggle with racism.

You can't racially attack people of another race because ... are you ready? ... you are not a member of that ethnic group. It's actually that simple.

It's not that deep. It's similar to how it could be funny when Jerry Seinfeld tells a joke that involves Jewish customs but it would be deeply offensive if Chris Rock tried to tell it. Similar to how it could be funny when commedianne Margaret Cho imitates her Korean mother's accent during her routine but it wouldn't be such a good idea for Billy Crystal to put that in his line-up. George Lopez uses racial humor involving Hispanics, but I don't think he hates people from Mexico.

The Richards routine would have been offensive whether he uttered the "n-word" or not. That word was perhaps only one of many offensive parts of his tirade. He spoke of Lynching and brutalizing the lyching victim. He said it's not wrong for a white person to call an n-word the n-word. He went ballistic and showed pure rage toward blacks - far more than just the usage of one word. Even though, usage of the word would have been bad enough all by itself. But the prolonged racial attack that incorporated the n-word and much, much more is what sets this one apart. Those of you who are still confused, please pay attention.

Personally, I hate "the n-word" no matter who says it. I am black and I don't say it. I cringe even when I hear other black people say it. I hate the fact that a whole generation of kids are hearing the word being used over and over again in music lyrics. It bothers me that some black people choose to say this word.

But, still, the key word in that last statement is black people. The word is tasteless and I hate to hear it, but I don't think that Chris Rock hates black people when I hear him say it. He probably doesn't hate a group that he's a part of. I would think differently if someone other than an African American said it. I would not just think that the person had bad taste, as I think when Chris Rock says it. I would suspect far more.

In the same way, we Americans as a whole can talk about our government and leaders and make jokes about ourselves. However, all of us were deeply offended when Hugo Chavez verbally attacked our President in front of the U.N. We can criticize our leaders, but when someone else does it in such a vitriolic manner, it's perceived as an attack on all Americans.

It's unfortunate that the "n-word" lives on in 2006. No one should use the word. But the fact that some black people do doesn't give whites the right to use the word. It remains among the deepest and most hurtful forms of insult in our language.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home